Forum home Plants

Rose ID - Deep plum/mauve colour

IlikeplantsIlikeplants Posts: 894
Originally I thought it might be a munstead wood but I was told not from the growth size? It’s more deep plum rather than red and fragrant.

@edhelka guessed gypsy boy or Prince Charles 
Would that sound right? Any other suggestions? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,290
    I'm not the rose expert here, but I used to have a souvenir du docteur jamain that looked similar. It had a very strong fragrance

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Another possibility might be Chianti, the blooms can look very Munstead sometimes.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants Posts: 894
    Pete.8 said:
    I'm not the rose expert here, but I used to have a souvenir du docteur jamain that looked similar. It had a very strong fragrance
    I would be happy if it’s that, https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/sandrinemaugy.com/2018/07/31/plant-of-the-month-july-2018-rosa-souvenir-du-docteur-jamain/amp/

I’ll treat it as a climber for now, thanks for the suggestion.

Nollie said:
    Another possibility might be Chianti, the blooms can look very Munstead sometimes.
    @Nollie but I’m not sure because it has never bloomed profusely which chianti should do. I’ll keep an eye on it because it says blooms once.
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    No, not Gipsy Boy or Prince Charles after seeing the blooms.
    I saw it yesterday in the rose thread and was thinking S. d. D. Jamain but decided to leave it to @Fire because she knows the rose well.
    Ahh so we can eliminate those two options at least @edhelka  and souvenir D d Jumain is the prime candidate at the moment.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,290
    The scent I recall was outstanding and the petals had a really velvety appearance.
    It was in a bright position with some shade, but it just didn't thrive for some reason :(

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    I’ll have to smell it again but I do remember it as being very nice and yes velvety too. Mine is in a shady border and doesn’t get any special treatment - in fact it’s a bit swamped and I tried pruning it for the first time this spring.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
    edited June 2021
    Looks very similar to a DA Falstaff i have in my garden.
    Sunny Dundee
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,683
    It does look like Falstaff blooms, mine are fragrant and more of a shrub rose, but then the growing conditions are different down here.