Forum home Plants

Identify a Rose please

Hello, My parents have ‘an old rose’ that is absolutely beautiful growing in their garden in Warwickshire. It has the most soothing scent but my parents cannot identify the rose by name. This has also proved unsuccessful to take cuttings from. I have included as many pictures as I could in the hope of finding the name of this for them. If anyone can help I would be really grateful. Many thanks. 

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782
    Hi lisa70smith.  Do you think it looks like the one I have below?  The one I have is also unknown to me.  It belonged to a previous elderly owner before I took over the garden 10 years ago and because she and her late husband had loved roses, she told me this particular rose had been around for 30 years.  What is left of it is only about three leggy canes and I kept it as it was out of sentiment for this lady.  She did tell me it was a hybrid tea but I never got the name.   I keep meaning to prune it down and try and rejuvenate it a bit but, it sits behind some tallish perennials which I am reluctant to remove to get to the rose - so I just leave it as it is.  It must be very old I think.

This may not be your rose - but it looks very similar and it has the most beautiful old rose perfume.

• Hi yarrow2, thanks for the beautiful pictures & the descriptions. It sounds similar but without looking into the fully open flower it is hard to tell. My parents one seems to have the mature flower dividing into 4 when fully open. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,645
    I struggle with photos that are not loaded the right way, but the foliage, long stems in the making, and the salmon pink colour, combined with your description of scent and it being around for some time..

..points me to 'Blessings'.. 
    East Anglia, England
  • FireFire Posts: 19,000
    To load pics straight, crop slightly and reload them.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,645
    I don't know if the member is still looking in, probably not, but I'm putting an alternative out there, which I've noticed in my garden this morning, and has quite a resemblance.. it's also an older variety although not quite as common as 'Blessings' in its day.. more popular today I think..

'New Zealand'  deliciously scented..  the foliage, and shape of the bush reminds me of yours too..

..compare the receptacle..

East Anglia, England
  • Thanks Fire for your advice, however, they were uploaded correctly. Not sure why they have ended up 90 degrees different? 
  • Thanks Songbird-1. 🙂🙂🌸🌼