Forum home Plants

What to do with this rose please? (all growth no buds)

msqingxiaomsqingxiao Posts: 482
Hi all, we only noticed this rose growing in the border this spring, after removing a lot of overgrown ivy from the wall in our new garden. The main stem was chopped off by previous owner I guess, and there's now this very long stem growing out from the side. There are quite a few thinner stems growing from the ground level too which I've tied to some wire on the wall. So far there's no sign of any bud setting at all, but the stem and foliage growth seems quite vigorous. Wondering: 1) Is it a climbing or rambling rose, or just a bush rose? 2) What can I do to make it bloom? Thanks!


Posts

  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Looks suspiciously like a Dog Rose; the previous owner probably chopped all the proper rose away and you are left with the root the rose was grown on.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    That may be the rootstock growing rather than the rose which was originally grafted onto it.  If so, it will eventually produce small single flowers and will be very thorny.  Personally, I'd take it out and grow something you know you'll like.  If you plant another rose, don't plant it in exactly the same place as there is a thing called 'rose replant disease'.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao Posts: 482
    Loraine3 said:
    Looks suspiciously like a Dog Rose; the previous owner probably chopped all the proper rose away and you are left with the root the rose was grown on.
    BobTheGardener said:
    That may be the rootstock growing rather than the rose which was originally grafted onto it.  If so, it will eventually produce small single flowers and will be very thorny.  Personally, I'd take it out and grow something you know you'll like.  If you plant another rose, don't plant it in exactly the same place as there is a thing called 'rose replant disease'.
    Thanks both! The original stem can still be seen in the picture, about half a meter tall, and this long stem is growing from the top of the original stem. Even that could be a rootstock?

    I don't have any other plant in mind for that location for now (most of the garden is still occupied by weeds), so may just wait and see what happens to it eventually... 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    @msqingxiao
    ..umm.. I'm going to put a different take on that.. it doesn't look like any rootstock that I know of.. they are usually thornless or the foliage, if a thorny dog rose, is of a plain matte green..

    .. your rose with those big thorns, and long pointed glossy foliage, looks like it could be one of those massive ramblers, and I suggest the previous owner cut it right down, maybe so as not to put off prospective buyers??  

    .. it reminds of a rambler called 'Bobbie James'.. which has thorns and foliage like that..

    .. if this is the case, then it will flower next year late Spring/early summer, once blooming only.. you will have to keep all this new growth otherwise it won't flower for you..

    .. if you think you can't manage a rose of this size, and as you see, it's aim is to take over all that wall,.. then you will have to think on that..
    East Anglia, England
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao Posts: 482
    Marlorena said:
    @msqingxiao
    ..umm.. I'm going to put a different take on that.. it doesn't look like any rootstock that I know of.. they are usually thornless or the foliage, if a thorny dog rose, is of a plain matte green..

    .. your rose with those big thorns, and long pointed glossy foliage, looks like it could be one of those massive ramblers, and I suggest the previous owner cut it right down, maybe so as not to put off prospective buyers??  

    .. it reminds of a rambler called 'Bobbie James'.. which has thorns and foliage like that..

    .. if this is the case, then it will flower next year late Spring/early summer, once blooming only.. you will have to keep all this new growth otherwise it won't flower for you..

    .. if you think you can't manage a rose of this size, and as you see, it's aim is to take over all that wall,.. then you will have to think on that..
    Thanks Marlorena! btw I've been admiring your amazing rose garden. I love the pebble beach style especially.  :)

    Previously the wall was all covered by ivy. No matter how massive the rambler was it didn't beat the ivy... And no we were not put off by the massive ivy either  :p

    We also discovered that there was a honeysuckle and some other mysterious climber behind the ivy. I asked in a separate post previously (https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1053370/whats-this-shrub-growing-out-of-the-ivy-please) and was told it was climbing jasmine, but I'm yet to see any flowers...

    Think I'll leave the rose there and see what happens  :D
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Good idea - @Marlorena knows what she is talking about when it comes to roses! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    @msqingxiao
    ..thank you, that's kind.. glad you've had a look ..

    ..well, that ivy must have smothered everything... so now it's got some light it's wanting to romp away..  you're going to have to tie it in to something and any other canes that spring up..  you can shorten any canes if they get too long, to make them more manageable.. as long as you don't cut them all down to the ground, you'll get flowers next year.. it will be nice to see what they look like at that time..  best of luck, I wish I had a wall to garden on..
    East Anglia, England
Sign In or Register to comment.