Forum home Fruit & veg

Pruning large apple tree?

2»

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,838
    You might want to take a bit more off the stumps you have left. Don't trim flush with the trunk but try to cut just above the collar where the branch meets the trunk. As usual a quick look at YouTube should get you some useful videos showing how far in to cut.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,591
    Remove a large circle of grass around the trunk and mulch and feed it.  The grass takes nutrients.  You want good apples so you may need to thin it.  Any water shoots you get will need to be pruned to three buds next August to produce fruit buds for the following year.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,485
    edited January 2022
    steephill said:
    You might want to take a bit more off the stumps you have left. Don't trim flush with the trunk but try to cut just above the collar where the branch meets the trunk. As usual a quick look at YouTube should get you some useful videos showing how far in to cut.
    I've purposely left them there so I can climb up the tree to prune it, they will then be cut back correctly.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,485
    Remove a large circle of grass around the trunk and mulch and feed it.  The grass takes nutrients.  You want good apples so you may need to thin it.  Any water shoots you get will need to be pruned to three buds next August to produce fruit buds for the following year.
    Thanks, I;ll do that.

Do they fruit on any branch, or in certain places on certain branches?