Forum home Problem solving

Any lawn care experts here? My front lawn is a mess :(

• @Raboon interesting. Why is the muggy day required? And do I still hand-weed it too? 
  • @Perki
    thank you!!!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,092
    If you have a look at the RHS link it will tell you the type of weedkiller to look out for, my OH uses Weedol. As with all lawn care, it may well look worse before it looks better, especially with so much clover to remove. Once the clover is gone, you can then reseed over the whole area. It will take a little time, but it is doable. 
    I think your main problem will be keeping the children off it in the meantime  :)
  • @AnniD
     which RHS link are you referring to? 
    Yes, you are right, the kids will be the issue, but to be fair if I do it the minute they set off for school, I am at least buying myself a good 7 hours, then I just have that afternooon to worry about haha
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,292
    😆 We’re overseeding our front lawn with white clover this year ... it’ll be greener than the grass which goes brown in the heat ... and the bees love it 🐝 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,193
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that unless you fiddle and faff with the lawn regularly (in no particular order: cut, weed, feed, spike for drainage, rake the moss, water, mulch and sometimes scarifying right back and re-seeding) then a perfect lawn is extremely difficult. I now go for mow and tidy the edges. You could also go no-mow and wilder, but that can look un-loved to the untrained eye. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • @AuntyRach
     yes I hear you. I definitely enjoy the fiddle and faff with the lawn bits and love the challenge of that perfect green lawn, so that's why I am going for the weed-free look. But I do agree that it's a lot of work for not much of a trade-off (depending how you look at it I guess...)
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,902
    I love clover in the lawn, I have three big patches which are much greener than the grass on its own. I can't wait for it to take completely over. I mow it on the high setting, so the flowers stay, bees love them.
    If you really dislike it, get rid of it. But it isn't "a mess". If you are doing it only because it is the front garden and neighbours can see it, don't.
  • @edhelka
     I don't have any neighbours that can see my house really. I just love the idea of the perfect lawn, not because it's right or wrong, i just enjoy the project and find it very satisfying. :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,129
    A still day is reccommended because wind can blow the weed killer away or neighbours' plots.

You seem clear about the look you are going for. Good luck with your project.