Forum home Problem solving

Cupressus Arizonica

Hi. Iam a newbie so apologies for any errors. I purchased one of these beautiful trees from a reputable garden centre 18th April. But it seems like it is dying? I initially was watering it about a can a day. I have since repotted in a ceramic pot and watered only about once every 4 or 5 days. I have looked exhaustively online and cannot find an answer or remedy to help. It has no mites, still has sticky sap spots on the main stalk and I have been regularly brushing the brown crusty, dead bits off. I will be devastated if it dies. I have added a picture of when I brought it and how it looks now which hopefully helps someone reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. 

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 379
    Hello. My instinct is lack of water. Trees in pots are totally dependent on the water they are given. Did you repot it using loam/soil-based medium (eg John Innes no 3)? Multipurpose compost won't be sufficiently water-retaining, so that might be making it worse.
  • xxiamherexxxxiamherexx Posts: 2
    Hi Pianoplayer, thanks for your reply. I thought that, as in lack of water, purely as it looks parched and dried out. I repotted using Aldi multi purpose soil, which I have found is not as good as it used to be, as it had a lot of wood chippings through it. Maybe I should repot and try giving it good deep watering. I did feed it with liquid food I use for my palm and topiary. So JI No3 is a good choice as I will happily repot as desperate to save it further distress. 😞