Forum home Problem solving

Trachelospermum Jasminoides

Hi - I just bought myself a gorgeous Jasmine and can't plant it along a fence where I originally planned so instead I figured I might grow it through some very tall shrubs (Griselinia Litoralis).  Has anyone any experience of growing this climber through shrubs instead of directly onto a traditional support?    I have the right soil all over and enough light for it, I'm just curious about how happy it'll be using shrubs for support.  Thanks :)

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,170
    I would have thought it would be too dense for that?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,035
    edited 11 June
    Hi @Tanty2 IMHO it's a strange idea to use G. littoralis as a support for a T. jasminoides. I can only picture the resulting scene as an unwieldy entanglement of shrubs. I suggest re-considering your plans.
    EDIT.- You write that you just bought a "gorgeous Jasmine". Does this mean it's already a large specimen? already in flower?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,423
    I haven't but would not recommend this. Griselinia Littoralis is evergreen, so during the winter time, when rain falls, the shrub's leaves will be wet for long periods, and if you imagine Star Jasmine, also an evergreen plant, will encourage rotting of branches and leaves for both Griselinia and Star Jasmine.
  • Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 125
    Thank you Borderline and LG for your helpful comments. What about growing it up into a birch tree?  At least that's deciduous...
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,035
    Tanty2 said:
    Thank you Borderline and LG for your helpful comments. What about growing it up into a birch tree?  At least that's deciduous...

Again, not such a good idea. Best support for the T. jasminoides is a good old treillis. Here's a pic of mine, planted against a treillis 7 years ago, and thriving.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,423
    I also don't recommend that. In the summer time, there will be shade from the tree, but also, may stress the Star Jasmine as they will be competing with water.

How about getting a nice tall Obelisk for it to grow up on?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,097
    I don't think it's a suitable combination
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,170
    IMO it's kind of a shrubby climber, with its evergreen waxy leaves and tendency toward dense growth. If you no longer have a fence to grow it on, could you make an arch or obelisk for it to grow on,on its own?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    Why can you not now plant it on the fence?  If it's because the fence belongs to the neighbours or is too rickety you could just erect your own posts inside it and then install trellis panels or tensioned wires between them and grow the trachelospermum over that.

I wouldn't try and scramble it through another shrub or tree for the reasons given above - competition for nutrients, weight and density. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw