Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomatoes (Determinate Totem) purple stem, please help

Hi
Trying out my hand at growing tomato first time and also got a wee flower blooming. Was excited to see the flower. However, then I noticed that the stem has gone purple at the bottom but at the top it’s still looks green and healthy. I’m not sure how to fix this as I tried searching forums and blog posts and it’s just confused me even more. I have bought Epsom salt but before I use that is there something else I should be checking/doing. Also how best to use Epsom salt as I’m feeding Tomorite liquid feed once a week and in between I water every second day or whenever the soil feels dry in the grow bag. 

I’m quite looking forward to harvesting tomatoes this year so would appreciate any pointers that would get the stem back to healthy green colour. I’ve attached the photo so hope it helps. 

Many thanks in advance
Jay

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,895
    It's probably due to environmental conditions - usually a chill.
    I've noticed it on mine occasionally in the past, it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect and disappears after a while.
    But keep a close eye on it, just in case it gets worse, in which case let us know.
    There's no need for any feed at all until the first fruits start to form or you'll get lots of leaves and fewer tomatoes.

I wouldn't use epsom salts unless there's a clear sign of magnesium deficiency. If you use it when it's not required, you could end up locking out other nutrients you plant needs.

I grow mine in a greenhouse and use tomorite about one a week and every 10 days or so they get some seaweed feed.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • jaybeestar78jaybeestar78 Posts: 13
    Thanks @Pete.8, yes it’s been chilly in the morning for couple of days where I live and then warm during the day. I’ve kept the grow bag outside on my patio so will keep an eye and stop using the feed for now. Will update if there’s any change. 

Jay
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,083
    Don't feed them if they aren't at the fruiting stage either. Too much food is counter productive. 
    I'd take the bark away too. It's just a home for slugs and snails.
    As @Pete.8 says - if they're outside, and you're not in a warm part of the UK, they're probably getting chilled. Night time temps need to be in double figures consistently to grow outdoors. I can't do that here. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

@Fairygirl, removed the bark. I live in Peak District, so temperatures not always consistent. I guess will keep them where they are and keep an eye if it sorts itself out as next two days as warm weather predicted.
    As suggested by yourself and @Pete.8 will not feed until I see any fruit. 
    Fingers crossed.

Many thanks
    Jay
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,083
    I'm sure they'll be fine, especially once the temps are a bit more suitable for them  :)
    They often do better if they're treated a bit mean. It pushes them to try and reproduce more quickly, ie - flower, and therefore fruit, as they feel they may not survive   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

:)  thanks again and will update soon.