Forum home Plants

Moving rhubarb now

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,477
Hi all, a friend is moving house this month she has lots of plants to move including a large rhubarb plant. Any advice on moving it successfully as it has sentimental attachment. Not going far just a few streets away. Hope you can help. Thank you 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 727
    Not supposed to be advisable, so keep the root as whole as possible with some soil attached would be my best advice.  It's customary to move later once the foliage has died back into the root stock, so he/she will be a few months early to be ideal?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    Dig up as big a rootball as possible ... slide it onto a tarpaulin is the best way to move it, gather the tarpaulin around it and tie with twine.  Don't try to pot it.  Prepare the site well ... improving the area with soil conditioner, well rotted manure or good garden compost (not MPC) ... fill the planting hole with water and let it soak into the surrounding ground before planting ... don't bury the crown ... water well after planting, mulch with soil conditioner, well rotted manure or good garden compost and water, water, water throughout the summer until the plant dies back. 
    Mulch again in late autumn early winter ... next year keep mulching and watering and don't pick any stalks until 2023.  🤞
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,477
    Thanks @Dovefromabove I have forwarded the message to my friend. The rhubarb was a gift from a friend who is no longer with us so very important to her. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    edited 11 June
    I meant to say, water it well .... really really well, so the whole rootball is damp, the evening before digging it up  :)

And if most of the leaves wilt and die after moving, DO NOT PANIC ... I would expect them too ... carry on as I described ... Rhubarb is from Siberia ... it's Russian, Russians are incredibly resilient.  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh