Forum home Fruit & veg

Fungus in my raised bed

Hi, I’m noticing I have fungus growing in and around my raised veg beds it seems to be areas where I’ve placed cardboard. I placed cardboard as a base on the grass then gravel on top then the beds and some cardboard behind the liner at the sides thinking it will protect the wood. Should I now reline the beds with a different liner or is this normal. I’m always on fungi patrol as I have dogs. Many thanks x 

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,097
    It won't harm your plants at all, it's a good sign of fungal activity in the soil which is a good thing. You can cut them off if it bothers you. I have no  idea about animal v fungus issues so can't help 
  • Lena_vs_DeerLena_vs_Deer Seattle WA, USAPosts: 62
    Yeah, I agree, definitely won’t harm you. I had a big patch of the same mushroom this year and asked a person on a block who is knowledgeable about mushrooms about it.  He said it’s a common cup fungi and it’s just a variety of morels. Not really poisonous, but not edible either. Depending on how much an animal eats of it it can make their stomach upset and make them vomit. But not deadly or anything.

I’d follow Wilderbeast’s advice and chops it off if it really bothers you. You can crumble it and toss it back in garden bed . I just raked mine over and never seen them again. They’re very fragile and not very persistent. 

• Thank you xx😃