Forum home Fruit & veg

New garden and green house.

Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 345
We moved in April from our little terraced house in Wimbledon to a house in Surrey. The previous owners were keen gardeners. There’s a great veg area with raised beds, my first proper greenhouse and some lovely mature fruit trees. Apple, pear, cherry, fig & quince. Plus some gooseberry bushes and some established raspberry canes.

This is a lot more work than our little garden before but I’m loving it. 

I’m hoping to use the area under the apple trees as a pumpkin patch. They would be in partial shade from the trees but that corner is a real sun trap. Do you think pumpkins would be ok under there? (last 2 photos)

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,643
    I'm no expert,but I do grow pumpkins and squash,how much sun do you get on that area? They need a huge amount of room, easily getting 12 feet long
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,328
    What a lovely garden to move into. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 345
    I'm no expert,but I do grow pumpkins and squash,how much sun do you get on that area? They need a huge amount of room, easily getting 12 feet long
    It gets sun most of the day. It’ll just be the shade from the apple trees. I’ve got mini pumpkin varieties. Amazonka and baby boo. They’ve got plenty of room to spread across the grass. Plus I’ve got red kuri and spaghetti squash that I’ll try to train up the trellis.
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 345
    Lizzie27 said:
    What a lovely garden to move into. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
    Thank you. It’s really exciting. I just need to spend less time at work and more in the garden. I’m trying to train the kids up to do the watering. Not going that well so far.