Forum home Plants

What is this on my Sunflower Leaves

G.Virk1G.Virk1 Posts: 3
Hi all I hope someone can help me.

I started to grow some sunflower seeds. 

I germinated the seeds in a propagation tray, then I transferrd them to individual pots.

I then trans ferred them again to 17cm pots using pro grow soil.

But the leaves have developed black marks on them, and i don't know what it is or how to cure them. Please can someone take a look at the pictures, and tell me what is going on. The stems seems fine, it's only the leaves. And it is only on the top of the leaves, the bottom of leaves seem fine. 

This is happening to all 3 of my sunflowers. At first i thought it might have something to do with the variety i have chosen. 

Please can someone advise, and what i should do to cure the problem or are these ok.

Many thanks

• CharlotteFCharlotteF Posts: 10
    What variety is it? I have these leaf markings on my darker varieties and assumed it was normal.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,712
    Yes, those marks are normal for several varieties.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 693
    Yes, those marks are normal for several varieties.
    That's wonderful to know.  Thank you, Bob.
  • G.Virk1G.Virk1 Posts: 3
    What variety is it? I have these leaf markings on my darker varieties and assumed it was normal.
    Not sure but I planted 6 different varieties, only 3 came up, which you can see. The silly thing is i forgot to take note which varieties I planted in which cell, during germination

Each 1 of those pictures is one of the varieties above. Next year I will take note what I plant. 
  • G.Virk1G.Virk1 Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your responses. Panic over. It was my 1st time growing them. I wanted to grow some last year but i was to late. So i went out early this year and brought the seeds, so I wouldn't miss out this year. I like the weird and wonderful type. I will put up pictures once the flowers arrive.
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF Posts: 10
    My black magics definitely have that colouring, but I imagine all the dark ones you have there will.