Forum home Fruit & veg

Sacrificial Marigold

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,449
This brave soldier copped for it last night. Doing exactly what I grew it for - distracting the pests from the edibles. However, I understood the scent repelled raiders, rather than attracting munchers :o . I hope I've got enough of them planted through the fruit border to ensure a decent harvest either way.

• Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London LondonPosts: 336
    @Biglad , mine aren't in flower yet , but i planted them ( mainly) for the same reason. Certainly don't seem to be repelling whitefly/blackfly/greenfly whatever , I wonder if its just a specific tomato whitefly they are supposed to repel.
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,449
    Possibly so @Desi_in_London.

I'm experimenting so have got them scattered all around. Some protecting the toms, some with the strawbs and the rest with the blackcurrants. Three regiments ready to do their duty :D 
  • HumblebeaHumblebea Posts: 13
    I had the same plan but all my marigolds were munched before they had a chance to flower at all!
    Oh dear @vanessaannpage :o

I'm not sure that this experiment is going to go to plan!
  • WatsoniaWatsonia Posts: 67
    I planted them as pest deterrent as well. Biggest success was next to the squash plants. The ones in a bed without marigolds basically disappeared overnight and there isn’t a single slug nibble on the ones in the bed with the marigolds. However, the marigolds are covered in slugs every evening and I pick them off and dispose of them. Record were 9 slugs on a tiny marigold.
    Thanks @Watsonia. You just inspired me to go out on patrol :D 

There were 3 Cyrils on the same marigold that got munched last night and another 20+ have been apprehended around the garden. All were on marigolds, rhubarb leaves or some cardboard I've put over a bare patch to stop the cats using it as a toilet. Which is good news as none were going for stuff I want to eat :) 
    We usually collect about half a dog food tin every couple of nights now, was about one tin every night as we started. A lot on the dahlias and lettuce as well. The marigold made it easier to locate them too. 
    I wish marigold would help with other things. Accidentally left the garden gate open and this morning deer had eaten my carrots, beans and bitten of the flowers on my Geums, geraniums and fresh buds on the roses  :'( 
    Flippin' echium @Watsonia :( 

They sound as destructive as the Shauns that regularly destroy anything in our front garden.
    @Biglad Shaun=sheep? How do they get in?
    edited 12 June
    Yes. There are no barriers between our house and the road. They are constantly wandering down from their fields into town and like a good munch on the way :( 

Once I'm happy with the back garden, it's a big project next on the list.