Forum home Plants

Rose ID please

andrewnewtonandrewnewton Posts: 155
Can I tap into the assembled expertise please for identification of this rose. It's a very vigorous rambler (currently starting to pull apart the trellis !!) with a single flowering. There is a slight scent with individual flowers but nothing overpowering. However when in full bloom it is noticeable.

If more pics or information required please do say. I can't work out why but the pics get posted upside down ☹️

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    @andrewnewton
    ... not easy from those lopsided pictures.. and to be honest, I'd like to see a whole lot more... as in, a whole cluster of flowers open, not just one... so we get to see each bloom at different stages...

..however, saying that, from your description and the foliage,  and looking at the centre of the rose bloom it's clearly from the Synstylae section of roses, which leads me to think it's a rambler called 'Bobbie James'..   but that's a tentative guess at this point..
    East Anglia, England
  • andrewnewtonandrewnewton Posts: 155
    Marlorena

Many thanks for that. It's only just started flowering so I'll add some more pictures in the next few days - hopefully the right way up 😄
    Hopefully these will be of help. The wider view is to provide some scale.

If people need more info please let me know
    @andrewnewton
    ...thanks for the extra photos..

No, that's not Bobbie James, the foliage, canes and receptacle from what I can see isn't right..

..that's 'Rambling Rector'..

East Anglia, England
    Many thanks for taking the time with that. Its much appreciated.

Just got to consider if I want to replace it - it's a bit too large for the space. In the meantime however I'll just enjoy the flowers !!
    ..it is a monster, but you do get a mass of attractive hips in autumn, if you don't touch it..   personally, it would be way too much for me these days..
    East Anglia, England
    Marlorena said:
    ..it is a monster, but you do get a mass of attractive hips in autumn, if you don't touch it..   personally, it would be way too much for me these days..
    You and me both ! It was planted by the previous house owners and I'm debating refreshing the part of the garden it's in. It is lovely when in flower but thats 2-3 weeks of the year and I think I'd prefer something that earns it's keep a little more.
    I guess I could really prune it hard but I'm not convinced these "vigorous" types either respond well or look that great to this more forceful treatment

..I think it's all or nothing with a rose like that... wait till flowering is finished, it'll be easier then with less guilt..
    East Anglia, England
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,314
    edited June 2021
    I cut mine down to sticks and rubbed off any shoots that emerged. It gave up after a couple of years. It's a lot easier than trying to dig it out should you decide to get rid of it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    I cut mine down to sticks and rubbed off any shoots that emerged. It gave up after a couple of years. It's a lot easier than trying to dig it out should you decide to get rid of it.
    Thanks for the tip. I was thinking my mattock would definitely need to come out of the shed. I'd  have to shred it as well, which should prove fun......