Forum home Fruit & veg

Chitted potatoes

i started off with really good intentions and have chitted some pentaland javelin first early potatoes as we did last year. However after finding out I was pregnant and not feeling great I have totally forgotten about planting them out. Do you think it’s worth planting them out as some are quite wrinkly or shall I just throw them out. Thanks for your advice 😊

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,871
    Oooh Congratulations!   We'll have to start knitting bootees!!! :D

The potatoes will be absolutely fine ... get them in the ground ... get the Under Gardener to do it if you feel dodgy ... you can supervise  ;)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you 😊
    I will follow your advice about the potatoes and sort them over the weekend. Many thanks 
  • clematisdorsetclematisdorset Posts: 1,192
    I am also attempting to grow the same variety of potato. I have never grown potatoes before and after leaving mine in a box on a windowsill for 3 weeks, I notice there are green areas near the eyes and maybe a furry something. I am not sure what to do next. Can someone help me please? 
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind
  • the potatoes will grow fine. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,871
    They’re fine … they are ‘chitting’ … that is growing shoots that will come the plant stems when you plant them out. 

Leave them as they are for the time being until it’s time to plant them out.  This will vary depending upon whereabouts you live and where and how you intend to grow them. 

😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• clematisdorsetclematisdorset Posts: 1,192
    Thank you very much for your helpful advice and reassurance, I will proceed!  :)
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind