Forum home Plants

Removing unwanted growth round bottom of trees. Is it called skirts?

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 996
Hi, I have spent the day cutting growth from round the lower parts of trees. This was done last October, and it’s very full growth again, and takes a while to remove. 
Sycamore seems the worst for this. Also I have sycamore and holly growing out of the base of other trees, most annoying, but in this case I assume i can use weed killer or stump killer.
I think this is going to be a constant chore, but is there a time of year it should be done to limit the grow back? 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,092
    If the annoying growth is of the same variety as its 'host' tree, it's a natural thing, especially with things like, as you say, Sycamore.  They're confirming the basic root stock is healthy and any chemical treatment could damage the main tree.  On the other hand, if the growth is different to its 'host', I'd try pulling the shoots out if you can as chemicals anywhere in the soil can affect other plant life, big or small.
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 996
    Thanks. It may be natural with the sycamores, but it’s definitely got to go.
    The sycamore and holly round other trees is way past pulling out in terms of thickness. It got chopped in October, but has now sprouted lots of new growth.