Forum home Problem solving

Holly Help Needed

BootleABootleA Posts: 2
edited 9 June in Problem solving
Hi, we've not long moved and took our established holly bush with us. All was well for a month and then we had two nights of gale force wind. Since then, the bush has lost every leaf and now looks almost dead. Can anyone help with what we can do to save it?

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,697
    @BootleA, oh dear, that does look poorly. I think if that were mine,  I would  scrape a little bark off ( one of the branches or stem) and see if it is green underneath. If it's brown, it will be dead I'm afraid. If it's green it's still alive.

I'm not too sure what you could do to revive it as it looks pretty too far gone to me. If you wanted to persist with it, I would  take some of the grass away from around the tree ( you need an area around base of tree , clear of grass as grass roots and bush roots will compete for water etc) and give it a good bit of nourishment into the soil. Dig in some compost, bagged manure etc .. Perhaps trim back some of the branches and then wait and hope it recovers. ( may take a good while though). Or dig it up and pot it on and give it same treatment. Let it settle for a good while and see what happens. Good luck.
  • BootleABootleA Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the help. It's still green under the bark so fingers crossed. I'll feed it and give it a while to come back. The joys of trying to get nourishment into new build gardens!