Forum home Problem solving

Pink cordyline

Hi I have 2 pink cordylines in pots both bought and planted at the same time one of them looks like it’s dying yet the other is growing nicely. Can I cut the poorly one right back and start it again? The trunk is quite squishy we’re the leaves sprout from
Thanks 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    If the trunk is squishy, you will have to cut below that.  However, little point in cutting back without investigating/confirming the cause or you may well end up with the same problem.

• delskidelski Posts: 254
    I have a similar issue with my dracaena marginata and I think the cause is "overwatering".
  • I thought it might be that. Will it dry out and recover or will it need replacing do you think please ?
  • delskidelski Posts: 254
    The mistake I made was watering the pot after cutting off the top. I should have cut the top off whilst dry, and then watered once the wound had sealed and started to show new growth.
    I'm not sure if your cordyline will recover, but you might as well cut it down as phillipasmith2 suggests.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    You can actually avoid that problem @delski - after cutting, you can drip melted candle wax (basic candles) over the cut which seals it and stops any moisture getting in  :)