Forum home The potting shed

Glasgow investing in new allotment sites

amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,989
edited 9 June in The potting shed
Cheering to read that they're creating new growing spaces for food production in Glasgow. Maybe one good thing to come out of the lockdowns. 
🌱🌽🍅🥕🥔🫑

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19355658.new-plots-food-growing-amid-rise-allotment-requests/#comments-anchor
To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,385
    edited 9 June
    Tempted to ask if the tobacco plant will be a popular choice for the allotment holders.  (FYI: I am a Glaswegian)
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,989
    Ha!ha! Wonder if it will grow well in the weather there...in Northern Greece it was a very popular crop. Remember lots of it drying in the sun. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,102
    Good news for the people of Glasgow or for at least 250 of them anyhow, there could possibly be more plots created if it didn't cost £1600 for to create each plot.
  • SporophyteBoySporophyteBoy Posts: 99
    I'm on The Committee of our Allotment Association and only yesterday measured up an area for another 20 plots on the site of 200 existing. My hackles raise at the quoted £1600 cost of providing - it needn't cost a bean more than the land. That said, our Assoc does help out newcomers to bring rough land into first cultivation and the Parish laid on a water supply - our member's rent pays the bill.
    I reckon that figure is rather like that warning you get when booking an NHS appointment - it costs £160! No it doesn't - all that figure represents is the total budget divided by the number of patients. God knows what Glasgow has included in that £1600!