Forum home Garden design

Garden design advice and ideas to resolve my wooden prison (trellis) nightmare!

• FireFire Posts: 18,966
    getting the council involved escalates everything.
  • kawa_starkawa_star Posts: 16
    Fire said:
    getting the council involved escalates everything.
    Yep, we don't want the stress so I'm trying my best to make something out of what we have. :) 
  • gondorgondor Posts: 135
    edited June 2021
    Er, really. He isn't allowed to do that!
    Why not?
    it's well above regulations
    Which regulations?
    To me it looks like the neighbour built a trellis frame on his own land, it's not the boundary (which is the fence).
    @kawa_star Your choice of trellis is very nice and hides his abomination nicely! Before long you'll have broken your "wooden prison" up with lots of plants and greenery. It just takes a long time to get plants established and growing as you like.

Er, really. He isn't allowed to do that! What an outrage! it's well above regulations and I know cos OH is a town planner. I would contact the council. BUT I know it's so difficult with neighbours 😫. Widening the bed, tall planting, trellis and climbers would be my plan. (After contacting council lol) 
    Thank you. We know it's out of regs as my other half works in the building industry. Initially we were going to report him but he's quite difficult let's say, and he would put up a fight, which feels too stressful for us 
    gondor said:
    Er, really. He isn't allowed to do that!
    Why not?
    it's well above regulations
    Which regulations?
    To me it looks like the neighbour built a trellis frame on his own land, it's not the boundary (which is the fence).
    @kawa_star Your choice of trellis is very nice and hides his abomination nicely! Before long you'll have broken your "wooden prison" up with lots of plants and greenery. It just takes a long time to get plants established and growing as you like.

This is my plan! I've never actually planted my own garden before so I'm starting from scratch we're basically zero knowledge 😂
  • gondorgondor Posts: 135
    Can someone explain to me why it's against building regs? I'm not familiar with this.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    edited June 2021
    It might be quite interesting to find out exactly his thinking and reasoning for his long term desire to put up something tall. Sometimes discovering the real background can help ease the process.

It's interesting that high trellis, not on the boundary is not ok, and tree metre trees are allowed. Ivy the plastic ivy didn't help his case, I imagine. :D ... And not consulting you first.
    Fire said:
    It might be quite interesting to find out exactly his thinking and reasoning for his long term desire to put up something tall. Sometimes discovering the real background can help ease the process.

It's interesting that high trellis, not on the boundary is not ok, and tree metre trees are allowed. Ivy the plastic ivy didn't help his case, I imagine. :D ... And not consulting you first.
    Initially he blamed the summer house but we later found out he'd tried to put it up previously. I think he just likes having complete privacy. He has a much wider garden so wouldn't be as overwhelming his side  
    kawa_star said:
    Fire said:

Initially he blamed the summer house but we later found out he'd tried to put it up previously. I think he just likes having complete privacy. He has a much wider garden so wouldn't be as overwhelming his side. Yeah I'm nit a fan of fake ivy, especially if it's just floating mid air 

• Garden GnomessGarden Gnomess Posts: 74
    edited June 2021

Have a look at the 'Garden Gallery 2021' discussion for some inspirational photographs and advice. Please let us know how you get on.