Forum home Plants

splitting two intertwined tomato plants - yes or no?

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 308
One of the tomatoes I bought online arrived as conjoined twins. I didn't have the guts to attempt to split them earlier - the roots really were unentangleable - and rightly or wrongly just potted them both on together.  Either together or apart I need to pot this on now. What should I do? Leave as is, and possibly put it in a bigger pot than usual? Or take a knife to the root ball?

• B3B3 Posts: 17,519
    I'd put them in an extra large container together.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,723
    As B3 says use a bigger pot for both. Put canes on each side of the pot and train a plant up each, that will give each plant the air/space room they need.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 308
    Ok done. Thank you! I usually put 4 canes in a tomato pot anyway.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,658
    Just for future reference, tomatoes root great in water.. I've had 100% success rate with all I have tried.  If you get two together like that next time, just trim the smaller one off at ground leave and remove a few lower leaves and put it in a jam jar of water on your windowsill.  Change out the water about every five days and within a few weeks it will form some good roots.  Put it in a pot with soil and harden it off.  
    Utah, USA.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 308
    Ok. Thanks. Will try that next time. I wish I had thought to do it with the tomatillo branch I broke off...