Forum home The potting shed

Bird ID

I’ve just spotted this bird in the garden and I don’t know what it is. Can anyone help identify, please?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    edited 7 June
    Juvenile Green Woodpecker possibly?  Although I'd expect more speckling ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 9,385
    I'd say maybe juvenile starling?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,164
    Fire said:
    I'd say maybe juvenile starling?
    This.

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,362
    Thank you. Yes, I think it’s a juvenile starling. I was just telling a friend the other day that I had no idea how a young starling looks like. Now I do.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    We have lots of young starlings here and the plumage is much darker ... maybe there’s a regional variation. As I said woodpeckers usually have more speckling
    ... youngsters are tricky ... whatever sort they are 😂 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,164
    It looks like a very fresh one. They start to darken up and develop speckles quite quickly. Normally at this age they're still hanging around in a big family flock being fed by the adults but you always get one or two that get separated and hang around the garden waiting for the family to realise they've forgotten them.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    Young starling - no mistaking the body shape and beak.
  • RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 192
    Google lens says 'starling' so it must be.......lol
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 223
    Another one to confirm it's a juvenile starling. About 3 weeks ago I had a bevy of them in the garden, where they were basically treating the garden like a creche, with a couple of adults to supervise. It was a lovely sight, about 8 of the little things, but they were also a bit like a hurricane and destroyed everything in sight, breaking bits of twine marking out borders, devouring the food on the feeders, pecking at the lawn copying the adults. It was awesome.