Forum home The potting shed

How tough are your hands?

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,164
I didn't want to hijack another thread about nettles but I'm curious how many gardeners bother with gloves to weed out young nettles? I got stung a bit weeding out big tough nettles today even with gloves on but for the little ones in the veg beds, or when I'm picking them for teas and things, I never bother with gloves now.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,525
    I don’t wear gloves, if I see the nettle I can pull it out without pain, if it catches me out I do feel it,  I just tell it not to hurt me, sort of mind over matter, but it I don’t see it, ouch! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,115
    If it's got more than 2 sets of true leaves I use gloves, I have a lot of strawberries (over 1000 plants) and sometimes a nettle sneaks in and gets me when I am picking. nettles are the only weed I will drop everything I am doing at the time to remove, I HATE being attacked by my plants! I also feel a nettle sting for 8-9 hours after it has stung me so gloves all the way.
    To be honest I almost always have gloves on in the garden anyway it really saves your hands.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,385
    Interesting.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,329
    A bit dropped off a tree lopper I was using the other day and fell into a large patch of tall nettles.

I was wearing loose-fitting, thin summer trousers and thought they’d protect my legs, so waded in to find it.

Half way in, I found that they didn’t but, like Macbeth, I had “
    Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er”, so carried on.

I found the bit of lopper and returned to dry land.

I must say, it was surprisingly strangely invigorating. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,448
    In answer to the thread title, as old boots ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    edited 7 June
    Mine are tough as old boots too ... always have been. I grew up playing in hedgerows and ditches on the farm. I learned to steer clear of the big mature nettlebeds but take no notice of little ones ... I certainly wouldn’t go and find gloves to weed one out ... but when I’m weeding I always have a small hand fork with me ... loosen the roots with the fork and grasp the stem firmly. I rarely get stung but if just do a small sting doesn’t bother me ... if it’s a bit worse I find a dock leaf, scrumple it in my hand and rub the sap into the stung area. Better in a few minutes. 😀 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,050
    When I saw the title I was about to write about arthritis!

My hands are not at all tough where nettles are concerned. I come up in small stinging lumps which sting for hours. Antihistamine eases it. I always wear gloves when gardening, fairly thin ones so I can move and feel. I get through loads. Hate mud in my finger nails.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,648
    edited 7 June
    Dock leaves are interesting because I believe there is no scientific reason why they work other than the cooling effect of the evaporation of sap. Most likely it’s simply the placebo effect in operation.

I loosen the roots, like Dove, and grab the beast just below soil level. I have noticed they have a propensity to lean towards you when you do this, nasty buggers. Unlike Dove, I am a wuss and wear gloves for any nettle bigger than about 4”. Even wearing gloves a little nettle stung me yesterday so I stamped on it. That taught it a lesson.

Edited to correct the spelling of wuss - thanks @B3.
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,519
    I even use gloves for old pulmonaria leaves. What a wuss!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,494
    The stinging doesn't bother me, it's a temporary annoyance, it's the itching the following day that drives me mad!
    I use gloves most of the time anyway, we are rural and there are rats about.