Forum home Plants

Petunias in the ground /borders?

squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
edited June 2021 in Plants
I’m planting petunias for the first time this year.

Is there a reason that petunias only seem to be planted in pots or hanging baskets?

Do they not work well in borders? Do they get eaten by slugs etc?

Maybe they do get planted in borders but I’m just unaware…

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Yes, you can put them in your borders, if you get them potted on to good size plants they’ll withstand a bit of chewing, 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire Posts: 18,941
    edited June 2021
    Some people on the forum have grown them beautifully in beds (see below). They would get mashed by molluscs in my garden so I wouldn't risk them in the earth or even in a raised beds, though I would love to get the below effect.

• Thank you both. They are a good size so I’ll give it a go… 

My main concern is the snails/slugs which seem to obliterate seedlings in no time. I grew 4 craspedia globosa plants from seed indoors since April…. I put them outside to harden off… the next day they had been razored to the ground by slugs/snails…  I now know why people who grow plants from seeds grow so many! 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,941
    This year I have been trying out plants in small pots placed in borders for a week. If they are looking attacked I can then easily remove them, without having to dig them up. So maybe try placing your potted petunias in the spot you are considering and keep a close eye. Then lift the pots out if they are in danger.
  • newbie77newbie77 Posts: 1,825
    Thank you both. They are a good size so I’ll give it a go… 

My main concern is the snails/slugs which seem to obliterate seedlings in no time. I grew 4 craspedia globosa plants from seed indoors since April…. I put them outside to harden off… the next day they had been razored to the ground by slugs/snails…  I now know why people who grow plants from seeds grow so many! 
    I see your pain. I grew petunia red velour from seeds for two months indoors. Had kept it outdoor to harden off and then 6 plants are gone. 
    South West London
  • Fire said:
    This year I have been trying out plants in small pots placed in borders for a week. If they are looking attacked I can then easily remove them, without having to dig them up. So maybe try placing your potted petunias in the spot you are considering and keep a close eye. Then lift the pots out if they are in danger.
    Thanks for this. They were actually in pots on a concrete shelf well away from any other plants 😬 
  • I have given up planting petunias, marigolds, delphiniums and galibrachoas in my borders, no matter how well established the plants are they don't survive the slug and snail attacks and it just upsets me too much to see the damage. I don't want to use slug pellets and nematodes have had a limited impact. Beer traps only work on a small radius.
    I now only grow border plants that don't attract slugs and it's a big relief not having to worry about the damage each time it rains.

• newbie77 said:
    Thank you both. They are a good size so I’ll give it a go… 

I see your pain. I grew petunia red velour from seeds for two months indoors. Had kept it outdoor to harden off and then 6 plants are gone. 
    Oh no 😬 The pain is real. In one of my pots, there isn’t even any trace of the original seedlings! 

I also put my marigolds out and one was decimated (by a spider?) 

• newbie77newbie77 Posts: 1,825
    I have given up planting petunias, marigolds, delphiniums and galibrachoas in my borders, no matter how well established the plants are they don't survive the slug and snail attacks and it just upsets me too much to see the damage. I don't want to use slug pellets and nematodes have had a limited impact. Beer traps only work on a small radius.
    I now only grow border plants that don't attract slugs and it's a big relief not having to worry about the damage each time it rains.

I am trying that too. I had never imagined that snails will eat hellebores and salvias but they do. Which plants do you find have better chance? 
    South West London
  • I have given up planting petunias, marigolds, delphiniums and galibrachoas in my borders, no matter how well established the plants are they don't survive the slug and snail attacks and it just upsets me too much to see the damage. I don't want to use slug pellets and nematodes have had a limited impact. Beer traps only work on a small radius.

Yes please do share these bedding plants that slugs and snails don’t eat….