Forum home Plants

Growing clematis

fay-wood1fay-wood1 Posts: 4
I would really like some beautiful climbing flowers etc on this.. I’ve planted a climbing rose already but it hasn’t really grown atall! I have wanted to grow roses and clematis together on it so planted a clematis today. Do we think the clematis will grow ok here? I was in doubts about the trellis aswell as I have read that clematis can’t cling/wrap round bulky trellis?

I would say that the spot is probably semi shade in the afternoon but does get a good amount of sun during the day?

thanks for any advice! Desperate for a gorgeous display of flowers on here. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    Which rose?  Which clematis?   What soil do you have?  Where abouts are you and which way does it face?   All of these will make a difference between success and failure.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fay-wood1fay-wood1 Posts: 4
    Hi the rose is “sympathie” and the clematis is “voluceau” I’m not sure the soil is the best.. I have put some compost in with the soil aswell.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,937
    It is really important to match the right Clematis, with the right Rose, you can't just plant any 2 together and expect them to thrive.
    I think you need to do a bit of research, and you will need good enriched soil, otherwise neither will thrive.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • cats_and_dogscats_and_dogs Posts: 71
    edited June 2021

I grow lots of rose/clematis combos and in my opinion it's best to give the rose a couple of years to establish until you plant the clematis as otherwise the clematis will smother the rose. Your climbing rose is establishing its root system, so you will see less growth this year.
    Climbing roses and clematis are very hungry plants, so make sure you have lots of rich compost and I'd plant them further apart as clematis grows long fibrous roots and it will rob the rose of the nutrients it needs. It's difficult to tell from your picture, but looks like you have a very narrow border surrounded by paving slabs, I don't think there is enough soil there for both. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,681
    edited June 2021
    Clematis 'Voluceau' is a group 3 so in theory ideal for planting with a rose. Reason being that you can cut the entire clematis down in winter, and then you can carry out the training and pruning of the rose. The clematis will grow back in spring and then you can start tying in to ensure the whole trellis is clothed in flowers (rather than just the top!) Looks like Rosa 'Sympathie' and clematis are both an appropriate size for the trellis so I think you have made a good choice. In terms of soil the Clematis likes good deep soil which retains some moisture but if you can keep it well watered for the first few seasons should be able to adapt to most situations so I'm sure will be OK as long as it has a decent root run. I have a viticella clematis in a very poor dry spot and it does extremely well, but the root system is enormous. Good point above about planting the rose and clematis a little further away from each other. I note that Peter Beales say that 'Sympathie' is suitable for growing in poorer soil.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    Thank you for some great advice, I have no experience growing climbing roses or clematis so thank you! Much appreciated. I’m wondering weather to move the climbing rose completely to a different spot? 
    Thanks 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,681
    edited June 2021
    If that small hole is all the soil they have available maybe that would be an idea (although I think you would probably get away with it). If the loose slabs in the foreground are sitting on soil - meaning there is more soil available for the roots of both plants - you would be OK. You could always lift a couple of slabs to extend the planting bed too.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    Thank you @loxley! So if I extend the bed and move the rose away slightly more from the clematis will that be ok? And take some of the soil out and replace with good compost? 
    As it has been mentioned about letting the rose establish itself first I’m worried it will be smoothered by the clematis like said above as the clematis already big when I brought it.. will it be ok? 
    Thanks