Forum home Problem solving

Freshly cut willow - using as plant supports?

2»

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,546
    nick615 said:
     Chew a stick if you've got a headache - contains aspirin.

It doesn't work that way and you can end up poisoning yourself.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,093
    ....except that the old willow basket makers always had a piece in their mouths, I'm told, and didn't get head aches?
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,546
    There are lots of types of willow.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    Just leave them to dry for a year.. they will be perfect for next spring when you are looking around for canes for the garden.  Then that years pruning will make canes for the following year, etc.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 294
    Well, all of this has definitely confirmed I won't attempt to use them this year, so I will stick them in a forgotten corner until next year when needed. Although knowing my rubbish memory, I'll probably find them just too late to be of any use to me....!! But at least they won't have rooted into new willows by then... :D
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 748
    We used willow for our plant supports on our old allotment. It did root but if you’re only using it for temporary crops (as peasticks etc) it won’t have rooted deeply so can easily be pulled out when no longer needed. Sometime some of our supports were left in over winter and still pulled up easily the following spring. 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 337
    I made a support for a peony and the video I followed suggested removing the bark from the ends if putting it in the ground fresh. So far so good, but I'll pull it up for winter anyway so hopefully not long enough to get too established if it does root.
  • SeahorseFriendSeahorseFriend Tyne and WearPosts: 73
    Could you try binding the ends with duct tape?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,040
    Why resort to plastic?  Thorough drying over a whole season or dipping in boiling water or bark stripping should do the trick.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw