Forum home Plants

Wildflower id please.

ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,691

Anyone know what this is? Saw a bunch of them on a walk last week, and just discovered one in our No Mow May lawn. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,451
    edited June 2021
    The white form of Cardamine pratensis ... Cuckoo Flower, Ladies' Smock ... a flower of unimproved unfertilised damp meadows.  Love it.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 582
    Cuckooflower/Lady's smock or Cardamine pratensis.  Food plant of the orange tip butterfly. 
    East Anglia
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,691
    I remember ladies smock from my childhood, but didn’t recognise it. I think I’ll rescue it before the grass gets cut, and move it to an area that won’t get disturbed. 
    Many thanks for the prompt replies.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,451
    The most often seen one is a pinky lilac .... the bottom end of the meadow behind where we lived when @WonkyWomble was small was full of them ... and then one year someone spread fertiliser on it  and some selective weedkiller to improve the grass ... and the Lady's Smock dwindled and never came back, at least not while we lived there.   :'(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,125
    It's been a good year for them here and there are more Orange Tips than usual too. I must be doing something right :)