Forum home Plants

Hanging baskets

ndcook1973ndcook1973 MerseysidePosts: 2
Hi everyone, I've recently moved into a new house and there are baskets attached to the front of the house as shown in the picture. I want to put some plants in them but not sure what's the best way. Looks like the previous owners have used straw and a bin liner? Does anyone have any suggestions and also what plants might be worth considering? Thanks in advance :smile:

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,050
    The ‘straw’ is coir, available by the metre or pre-formed into the shape of your hay basket from garden centres and bigger DIY stores. Alternatively you can use black plastic which works just as well, possibly better, but is not as aesthetically pleasing. I would use a compost bag, or similar, turned inside out rather than a bin liner as it will have more substance and bulge less between the metal struts. If using plastic pierce it with several holes for drainage, starting the piercings about 3” up from the bottom so there is a smalll reservoir of water for the plants.

As for what to plant, you really can’t go wrong with petunias or their near relatives calibrachoa. Choose about a dozen plants whose colours appeal and be sure to have about six to eight trailing ones for planting in the sides and on the front edge. Trailing lobelia also works well. Don’t forget to pick up a bag of compost while out shopping, some of the composts are specially formulated for hanging baskets.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    Hi there, this looks like a good sized trough to get some colour on your walls!  Have a look at this link from the RHS which will give you a lot of very useful information: Hanging baskets / RHS Gardening.  Many of the recommended plants should be available locally, choose what you like and try your own combinations of height, colour and plant texture.  There's a popular gardening guide of using thrillers, fillers and spillers when planting hanging baskets and troughs, ie a central focus plant, colourful surrounding flowers or foliage and trailers to provide interest downwards.  Enjoy your planting!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    I have some similar troughs and I line with plastic [with holes as described by @BenCotto ]  but with an outer layer of landscape fabric which is less offensive until plants come over and cover it. 
    Your plant choices will depend largely on the aspect - ie how sunny or shady,  and whether you just want seasonal interest. There will still be plenty of choice in GCs and DIY stores, but you may need to hurry as I expect there won't be many around for much longer. A slow release food is useful for them - the granular kind is ideal, and you'll get that in any outlet including supermarkets. Keeping them watered is key- even with plants that like good drainage. Once they get dried out, it's hard to rehydrate. 
    You can add things like the smaller leaved ivies to give a contrast with your flower choices too.  A multi purpose compost will do if it's just for seasonal planting, but you'll need something more hefty if it's going to be for long term planting, so choose a John Innes mix for that  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....