Forum home Plants

What to do with Eryngium

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
Hi all

I potted these Eryngium back in the spring and they are all growing quite nicely. There are 3 each in a pot. 

What do I do with them now? 🙈

Do I just plant them together? Do I need to divide them and then plant them? Divide them and grow them on? Ultimately I'd like them in the ground.

Many thanks as always!
I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    I would  separate them and plant them out, they look large enough to cope.
    Lots of sun and fairly poor soil is what they like best.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
    I'll put them in a sunny spot. My beds are all pretty rich clay that were manured in the spring so I don't know how poor they are! We will find out soon 😊
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady Posts: 778
    I've got one of these, growing for the first time this year - Alpinum, and I just can't work out how it is going to end up looking blue and spiky!  I guess time will tell!  I also bought Eryngium Bourgatii and that one is prickly from the start, it's weird how different they both are.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,017
    With alpinum, it's the flowers that are blue and spiky but in my experience, the leaves stay green.  All varieties need full sun to develop the blue colour well.

@Latimer you need to water those pots well and then separate the plants and plant them at least 30cm/12" apart as they will cover a spread of 30 to 60cms with their base and get up to 90cms/3' tall.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
    Thank you everyone, job for tomorrow sorted!