Forum home Plants

Canna - safe to plant out or potential slug treats?

CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
I have three cannas (tropicanna). I have never grown them before. They're still quite small - maybe 20 - 30cm high. Do the slugs like them? I'm wondering if I'm safe to plant them out or whether I should just keep them in their pots for a while longer until they're a bit bigger as I do with dahlias.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    They do like them...I'd say follow your dahlia growing procedure so you have a larger plant that can defend itself better. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
    Thank you @amancalledgeorge, that's useful to know. I promised myself last year I'd not buy anymore plants that needed protecting from slugs. It's too hard! Ah well. I'll give them a few more weeks.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    I find they cause less damage as the leaves are thicker...my solution is to grow them in pots. They're great for impact, worth the effort. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Yes you're right - same with dahlias to a certain extent I guess. I wonder if it would work if I sunk the pots into the ground but kept them slightly proud. Covered them in gravel. Might try.
  • selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166
    I am having success with snail and slug deterrent by using Strulch mulch

Thanks @selinasally that's a good idea. I haven't tried it yet but have seen it mentioned before.