Forum home Plants

Salvia

I am looking for a white salvia for a white and green border. 

I was about to order some Salvia x sylvestris Schneehugel but then I read the flowers can have red tips? 

Is that right or are there other cultivars that are white without the red tinge?
«1

Posts

  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    There is Salvia Clotted Cream. Pretty hardy.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,170
    Salvia Mirage White, sorry can't do a link as internet playing up!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,003
    I have "Schneehugel" and can honestly say that l've never noticed any red colouring.
    With the "shrubby" types, "Heatwave Glimmer" is good one and stands out in the evening also "Moonlight Serenade" . Not necessarily a pure white, but not far off.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    Fire said:
    There is Salvia Clotted Cream. Pretty hardy.
    I've had one in my garden for abut 10 years.
    It's stayed quite small but flowers for months.
    The flowers are a very creamy.

    Would penstemon White Bedder suit if you can't find a salvia?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Fire said:
    There is Salvia Clotted Cream. Pretty hardy.
    Thank you. The flowers do look like a dollop of clotted cream.
  • AnniD said:
    I have "Schneehugel" and can honestly say that l've never noticed any red colouring.
    With the "shrubby" types, "Heatwave Glimmer" is good one and stands out in the evening also "Moonlight Serenade" . Not necessarily a pure white, but not far off.

    Thanks AnniD. Reassured by your advice again. I will order some Schneehugel. It was possibly a rogue description online? I will check out the others too. Moonlight Serenade sounds good.


  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,003
    It does flower for ages and needs very little deadheading l find. Might be a bit on the yellow side for your scheme though ?
  • Pete.8 said:
    Fire said:
    There is Salvia Clotted Cream. Pretty hardy.
    I've had one in my garden for abut 10 years.
    It's stayed quite small but flowers for months.
    The flowers are a very creamy.

    Would penstemon White Bedder suit if you can't find a salvia?
    Pete thanks for the penstemon suggestion. Looks like a foxglove and cottage garden character but without risk for children or pets (ingestion unlikely but peace of mind).
  • AnniD said:
    It does flower for ages and needs very little deadheading l find. Might be a bit on the yellow side for your scheme though ?
    Amazed by the range of Salvias once you do a bit of research.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,003
    Trust me, they're addictive. I speak as one who knows  :)
Sign In or Register to comment.