Forum home Plants

Help with identification

ZanteZante Posts: 3
Hi all - newbie member and very novice gardener so would love some help identifying the attached :) Suspecting will be weeds.

• sjb_csjb_c Posts: 41
    Yup - top one is sticky weed and bottom is bindweed
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,563
    Sticky weed, also called cleavers.  It comes up quite easily. Bindweed on the other hand... Dig down to get as much of the root as you can.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    didyw said:
    ... Bindweed on the other hand... Dig down to get as much of the root as you can.
    And its roots are brittle and snap easily ... be careful when you dig it out ... every piece left behind will grow into a new plant ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ZanteZante Posts: 3
    Thanks all - I feared it was bindweed.  Unfortunately it is proving tricky to dig out in some parts of the bed as there are neighboring plants etc.  From what I have read it seems I just need to keep severing it at ground level when it appears
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    Or you can paint the leaves with a glyphosate weedkiller such as RoundUp and then leave it to die ... when the leaves are brown the roots are dead. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh