Forum home Plants

Plant ID - Some type of grass?

Hi All,
Because I'm making some raised beds for growing vegetables, I needed to remove the plant shown in the picture.  I lopped the top of it off yesterday, and I thought I'd just clear the roots, but this is unbelievable.  It's almost a solid 'mat' of roots.  Never seen anything like it.  I really just wanted to tidy the area up, but now I'm worried that this plant, and it's root system, have become so invasive, that I may have to dig ALL of it up, first of all.  Does anybody know what it is?  And do I need to dig it up?  The beds will be 14 inches high, so I have some tolerance.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,285
    Looks like phalaris picta or commonly known as gardeners gatar . Its evil and can be very invasive , I'd be removing as much as possible.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902
    I'd say that's probably Phalaris arundinacea - Gardener's Garters is the common name.
    Dreadful stuff - spread like wildfire. You have your work cut out getting rid of it I'm afraid.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Really strange how we keep on getting all these bad plants.  I'm beginning to think it's my neighbour.  So we now have bindweed, the above plant (phalaris), brambles (everywhere) and mare's tail (both front & back garden - very strange).  He has a garden, but everything is in pots.  How convenient ! 
  • So you think that even if I put a foot of soil above it, it will still grow through that, interfering with my vegetables?
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,285
    I wouldn't be surprised if it made its way up to the top of raised veg bed .  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,076
    It will grow through anything you put over it. 
    It needs digging out. 

It used to be very popular in gardens ... it can look lovely ... but it does spread and can be tenacious so it’s less popular now that people have less time to maintain their gardens. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902
    You'll have to dig it out - it won't be deterred by extra soil.
    Perhaps your neighbour can't be bothered fighting with all the weeds either - hence the pots  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,011
    Just to be contrary, I grow it on purpose in a boggy bed, yes it spreads, but I think it looks beautiful. I combine it with Astilbes and Aconitums.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,002
    I grow it under my roses on the shadyish side of the garden.  If it's healthy, it brightens up a dark spot. I like it with white flowers. The one in the picture isn't healthy. If you get the spreading shoots when they're young, they're easy to pull out.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,076
    edited June 2021
    I agree @punkdoc and @B3 ... it has its uses and can be very pretty in the right spot  ... but you have to ‘garden’ it ... not leave it to its own devices. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh