Forum home Plants

Silly question about plug plants

WoostieWoostie Posts: 53
I dug out two new borders earlier this year and to fill them at a relatively low cost I ordered some plug plants. I knew they were going to be small but when they arrived they were barely 3cm tall. So I've potted them all up and put them in the greenhouse and they seem to be doing okay. My silly question is, how long do I need to wait before I can plant them out in the borders? How tall do they need to be? They are all cottage plants perennials if that makes any difference. Thank you.

• I'd say that in order for small plants to be able to fend for themselves in the open you'd want them to nicely fill a 9cm pot anything smaller will need a lot of looking after. But all depends on your individual conditions and level of supervision. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,686
    Monty gave some good advice on GW recently. Gently ease the plant out of the pot and if you see more white root than brown compost around the outer edge it’s time to move it on to the next size plant pot or put it in its permanent position in the garden,
    Rutland, England
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 53
    Thank you. Now you mention it, I do remember Monty saying that and it makes sense.