Forum home The potting shed

My favourite 'weed'

B3B3 Posts: 17,519
This year it has got to be bird feeder flax. What a beautiful perfect  blue!
Next is centranthus ruber ( the red one) closely followed by centaurea, and purple toadflax when it comes out.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,525
    I absolutely agree with those choices, my OH used to grow fields of the blue flax, beautiful,  the red CR  grows wild down here just in the cracks of walls and the toadflax I let self seed where it wants too, bees favourite.   I’ve got pink ones now as well, don’t know where that came from. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,494
    I love lawn daisies, their upturned happy faces  just make me smile whenever I see them :)
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 83
    edited 3 June
    Cow parsley and red campion are my welcome weeds!

I've got patches of cow parsley all over the garden and around 2 sides of the pond; it's common as muck around here along every hedgerow and roadside but I think it looks great.  And I have a big patch of red campion at the back of one of my borders and I really like it..  and easy to pull up if it spreads too far.

I also agree with @Buttercupdays - I love my lawn daisies!
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,519
    I love it too but we don't get it around here.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343
    English bluebells and primroses. I know - we're very fortunate to have them both as weeds. 
    At the moment the part of the garden that I don't garden (most of it) is a sea of cow parsley. It's a bit monoculture but I do like it. There are nettles and thistle in there too though, and some red campion as well as next door's forget-me-nots that have escaped, and buttercups.
    Soon it'll be foxgloves, ox-eye daisies and hogweed. I'm hoping the one knapweed plant that turned up last year will have spread a little farther.
    They are all weeds in so far as I haven't planted them and they come up where they will, but it's the original Curmudgeon question - is it a weed or a plant? 
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,519
    Weeds are plants but some wildflowers are weeds. Valerian is  a wildflower to me but, to Ben, it's a weed.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,385
    cow parsley and blue flax linum - I planted mine on purpose.
    I do like fgmns although some people view it has a weed. Ground ivy, dead nettle.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,477
    I adore cow parsley and my tortoise has a passion for dandelions. I harvest and sow seed of both but to no avail 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,050
    My favourites are bluebells and they smell so lovely too. Then primroses and cowslips. I rarely see bluebells in SW France where I live, but there are loads of cowslips.
    Dordogne and Norfolk