Forum home Plants

Texas Gardner who watches gardners world

jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 402

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,881
    What a fabulous view James
    I've always assumed Texas was too hot and dry to grow much other than giant cacti - how wrong I am :)
    Great to see gardens from other parts of the world here too.
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 547
    That’s lovely James. I grew tomatoes like that when I lived in USA. But I don’t miss the heat and humidity where I lived!
    East Anglia
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,256
    Your garden photos are always quite inspiring @jamesholt - with such a difference between our climates, what do you learn from GW programmes that you can put to good use in your own patch ?
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 402
    Thank you for the kind comments.  We have been very cold and very wet this year.  I don't like the cold.  We got down to =10 Fahrenheit this winter with ice and snow. This killed many of our shrubs. We have had below normal temperatures for the past six months and above rainfall.  Because of the water table being only about two feet I plant things that can tolerate water.  I generally can grow anything monty don plants in his garden but I can start six weeks early generally but not this year.   Watching his garden mine is only about 2 weeks ahead.here you can see my fig trees.  They were 10ft tall last year but got burned by the cold
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,881
    Wow! it is wet there this year.
    I've got mildew on some plants already and the soil is like concrete despite all the rain we had a while ago.
    Looks like you're doing a great job James
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,535
    I like your pond very much... is that the Ogallala Aquifer 2 feet down?  I heard it's drying up.. 
    No I think it's from the lake I built.  We have an aquifer called the trinity 600ft down.  It's in good shape unless the oil drillers ruin it
    I planted two new olive trees my big ones died from the cold
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,524
    Your ground does look awfully soggy James but your lake is fabulous.