Forum home Plants

Identifying?

Can anyone identify what this is? 

• BiljeBilje Posts: 771
    Ata semi educated guess it’s the dreaded Japanese Knotweed. I’m sure someone else more knowledgeable will advise you. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,945
    Afraid it looks like Japanese Knotweed to me too. Pretty certain of that. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Oh dear. Not what I wanted to hear but I did suspect it might be - nightmare! Not sure what to do, I definitely can’t afford a company to sort it out, back to the internet! Thank you for confirming 
  • Hello All, 
    I am having a panic, I treated the above last year repeatedly and I thought it was destroyed. I decided I really needed to do some weeding this weekend but have found a few small weeds which I am not sure if it is more Japanese knotweed, the last time I only noticed it when it was huge, these are all quite small. I have taken photos of a few of them. Can anyone advise if this is what I am dreading? 
    Thank you
    Susan
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    That's willowherb, not Jap. knotweed. It seeds everywhere, so best pulled out.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • It is certainly not Knotweed, it is a Willowherb. Also a weed but not nearly so much of a nuisance.
  • Thank you so much @Fairygirl such a relief, I will get pulling this weekend. You have no idea how happy I am 😊
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,283
    @susanjmcgowan Looks like willow herb to me.
    Looking forward to my new garden with clay soil here in South Notts.

Gardening is so exciting I wet my plants. 
  • Thank you @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool  and @GardenerSuze for the confirmation too - panic over! 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,283
    Hi @susanjmcgowan Hopefully you have had some rain for your garden to help you, take them out with a fork or trowel best not to just pull or you will leave the root behind. I would make a note of what this weed looks like it is common and you will also avoid a future panic!
    Looking forward to my new garden with clay soil here in South Notts.

Gardening is so exciting I wet my plants.