Forum home Plants

Plant suggestions, please!

Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 221
I have a single large flower bed in the middle of my garden which has stepping stones through it.  What might I plant between the stones?  It needs to be something ok with light foot traffic, requiring absolutely no maintenance whatsoever and not spread too thuggishly out into the rest of the bed.  Easy, huh?  Any ideas?  Thanks :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    What's the soil like?  How much direct sunlight does it get?  What else is planted in the bed?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 221
    Soil is neutral, the bed is in full sun though parts of it are in partial shade from other plants, the rest of the bed is full of shrubs and perennials, all thriving - Daphne, Ceanothus, Choisya, Pittosporum, Sambucus, Alstroemeria, Dahlia, Chelone, Campanula, blah blah blah :)
  • Low-growing sedums?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    We need a picture
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    And size,is this as opposed to a marriage bed?!!
    Here is a pic of a section of the bed.  The stones are about to get lifted and moved closer together, to basically halve the gap between them.  So....plant suggestions?
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    In sun you could have prostrate thymes, chamomile, sempervivums, low-growing sedums. In the shadier areas maybe Ajuga (bugle) which comes in different leaf and flower colours.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Agree with sedums, also thyme, Erigeron.