Forum home Wildlife gardening

Any reason I can't throw weeds on the grass

Have loads of weeds in my brick pathway, I'm lazy, is it bad to just pull em up by the root and chuck em on the grass. Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,268
    Do you want a nice garden or dont you particularly care what it looks like? 

I’m not being funny ... I’m just wondering why you want to tidy the path and yet have a scruffy messy lawn?

:/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 582
    I do this when weeding and let the mower collect the weeds the next time the lawn is being cut. I'm not that strict in having everything perfectly neat in the garden so it seems to be a reasonable short cut to me anyway.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,892
    Some weeds, I think, would be fine with this. Weeds like couch grass or bindweed I would put straight in the rubbish bin (not green waste or compost). Within permaculture there is a method of mulch creation called 'lop and drop' where you let most cut pieces stay where they fall. Not that useful for a lawn or a brick path, perhaps, but you could toss them under a hedge, as long as they will not re-root.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,898
    I go around and pull weeds and throw them on the grass to die until I mow them up.  But I don't have nice grass.. just bindweed, dandelion, and couch grass mostly.   ;)
    Utah, USA.
    I just pull them and put them into whatever receptacle I have with me ... flowerpot, trug or wheelbarrow ... then when I’ve finished I empty it ... so much easier than throwing them on the lawn where they can drop seeds or soil, and will need clearing up later if they’re not going to be a mess. 

If it’s a one off weed that I notice while hanging the washing out or picking a tomato then that goes into a trug or pot that’ll be in the garden somewhere ... there it can wither and die without dropping seeds on the grass. 

I just don’t get leaving weeds on the lawn ... you’re making more work for yourselves later on 😞 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 734
    I sometimes do when I haven’t been prepared enough to have a container with me or it’s already filled. But I always go back to pick it up later and hope the OH hasn’t just mowed over it or chucked it into the compost bin. That’s the main problem, others not understanding your methods. I’m going to try and not do it though and be more organised.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,555
    A certain GW presenter is very prone to just chucking stuff on the ground. ( presumably some minion comes along afterwards? )
    Why not just take a bucket  or wheelbarrow with you when you're doing some weeding, / cutting back etc?
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,984
    It would take two minutes to brush them up off a path and put them in a container or bin.  
    Or just take the container and put them in as you pull them  :)
    I find it quite odd that anyone would throw them on the grass instead.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It's interesting what people consider to be an ideal, perfect or simply a nice lawn.  Were all different i suppose, the perfect lawn for me is a lawn that is covered in lawn perennial wild flowers, or weeds to some.  A traditionally perfect lawn to me is a no no, it's boring visually and has no benefit to wildlife.  There are of course some weeds that you don't want on your lawn.
    Our lawn is a million miles from a traditionally perfect one ... lots of wild flowers in our grassy patch... but weeds that aren't welcome in the flower beds aren't really welcome in the grass either.