Forum home Garden design

Advice on shading a patio

We have a medium size patio and are struggling to find someway of shading it so we can sit outside and not get drowned burnt. It's too far from the house to create an awning and the wind whips round the side of the house nearest to it, so we are thoughtful about some sort of bottom-weighted sunshade. I am also not too keen on anchoring something like a gazebo to the patio slabs in case we spoil them.

Has anyone else had this problem and what solution have you found?

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    We live opposite the south downs 10 minutes from the sea, which creates a wind tunnel effect,my husband has just built a pergola to sit under for this very reason. Although we have kookaburra shade Blind on our conservatory roof (inside) because it was all we could afford,they do a very strong frame thing for outside use. You can get them on e bay or direct
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    We looked at putting a sail up over our terrace but it would have meant drilling anchor points into stone house walls and then drilling into concrete for the base plates for posts.

In the end we opted for a cantilever parasol with a rectangular 3 x 4 metre canopy.  It stand on a large plastic base about 1m square which is sturdily made and filled with water to weight it.   We intend only to have the canopy up when needed so it doesn't all get blown about by strong winds and we can move it to safety for winter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • We live opposite the south downs 10 minutes from the sea, which creates a wind tunnel effect,my husband has just built a pergola to sit under for this very reason. Although we have kookaburra shade Blind on our conservatory roof (inside) because it was all we could afford,they do a very strong frame thing for outside use. You can get them on e bay or direct
    Thank you. I'll do some research on them.
  • Obelixx said:
    We looked at putting a sail up over our terrace but it would have meant drilling anchor points into stone house walls and then drilling into concrete for the base plates for posts.

In the end we opted for a cantilever parasol with a rectangular 3 x 4 metre canopy.  It stand on a large plastic base about 1m square which is sturdily made and filled with water to weight it.   We intend only to have the canopy up when needed so it doesn't all get blown about by strong winds and we can move it to safety for winter.
    Sounds like you had a similar problem. Your cantilever parasol seems like a great solution. Can I ask where you got yours? There seem to be so many around, but even some of the John Lewis ones don't get great reviews.
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    edited June 2021
    Something like that? Various types of shade sails that can be attached to buildings or posts, but this one seems to have all the bits you need to erect it.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    We live in France so searched on the internet @fournariosNxE_bCnX and ordered from a French supplier who refused to send the base claiming it was too heavy so we should get one at the local store.  We then went to the local store whose staff said they'd never heard of it, didn't stock it and wouldn't order one.    Found a better base online and in stock another local store with friendly, helpful staff and lots of great plants too so I'll be going back.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw