Forum home Problem solving

Pond issues

We’ve just moved into a new house and there’s a deep wildlife pond surrounded by trees and geraniums around the edge. There’s only 1 plant in the pond at the moment and a resident newt, however the water is very murky and doesn’t seem to have much life at all. Do we need to clean the pond? Is there something we can use to help clear the water? Should we just start adding plants? Do we need oxygenating plants? 
We don’t want to keep fish we just want to maintain a nice natural pond for wildlife. 
Please help.

• RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 244
    What a beautiful pond! By that I mean the plants frame it wonderfully :)

I suspect its green simply because of microscopic algae, which a UV filter would kill. I know there's a product that clears it, but I've no idea how long it lasts. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,709
    edited 1 June
    Have a look at Blagdon's website ... I've used their stuff for blanket weed and their sludgebuster on our wildlife pond ... highly recommended.  

https://www.blagdonwatergardening.co.uk/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,740
    It doesn't look very appetising as it is.
    If it's deep I guess there could be a very thick layer of silt at the bottom and the lack of any plant life may indicate it's somewhat stagnant.
    If that were the case it'd be better to clean it out and start afresh.

It may be easier to see if it can be recovered from its current state, as you suggest, by adding lots of oxygenators.
    Puddle Plants are very good and they have a section of just oxygenators for ponds.
    Once the plants start growing the water will clear as they'll use the nutrients that are currently feeding the algae and hopefully your newt will get some company.
    I've counted about 16 newts in my little pond this year - and they seem to be 'enjoying' themselves pretty much all the time at the moment! :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715
    Barley straw will clear it.  Small packs are available from places like World of Water.  They do work and no chemicals involved.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 676
    Careful if you choose a uv filter, they can damage wildlife, so your newt may either move off or die! UV can be used in water which is sure to be devoid of life safely (fountains etc) but should only be used in other areas with much care…. Has been known go give goldfish a form of cancer!

I second the Blagdon range as they have worked well in my pond, however it is smaller than yours.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,740
    I'll 3rd the Blagdon products too :)
    Barley Straw Extract and Sludge Buster
    I also agree that a UV filter is not a good idea in a wildlife pond
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,883
    Well, looking at it logically, you have a wildlife pond. Algae are all part of life’s rich tapestry too.

Incidentally, if you do decide to add chemicals to it, check beforehand that the product says that it is safe for wildlife ponds.  Some kill frogspawn and so on.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.