Forum home The potting shed

Would you like to take part in a research study open to all you wonderful Gardeners' World Viewers?

Have you watched Gardeners' World for over a year? and Have you found yourself noticing something other than the plants? If so, we'd love to hear your story. 

To share your views, please contact the Lead researcher at [email protected]

Happy gardening!

• panfordlpanfordl Posts: 4
    BenCotto,
    Your observations and views on various aspects of the show would be very welcome. if you could email [email protected] with an email address I can forward the study details, ethics, confidentiality and what happens next to, we can get started. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,925
    I don’t mind the dogs either. In fact I like them and also assumed the cutaway shots to the dogs were a cinematic device for moving between one action and the next.

Once again, @panfordl, what do you want? Anecdotes about the programme? A list of things I would like to see changed? Now you are talking about Zoom meetings which I have no problem with but, before I commit finger to keyboard or face to camera, I would like to know the study’s objectives.

You say that “ a study with GW viewers at its heart hasn't been carried out before” and you may well be right but, if I was a senior member of the BBC hierarchy, I would definitely be commissioning focus groups to see if the programme was maximising viewer satisfaction.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,916
    I would take time to specific the exact remit and title of the study before going any further. Put in parameters and aims, as Nollie says, and save everyone time and effort.  The more specific your aim, the more useful data you will glean about that aim.

Also, as for most studies that pop up on the forum, it's worth noting that we are in no way a typical cohort that represents a typical GW viewer. I think most regular contributors to the forum don't watch GW; some dislike it intensely and avoid it. Many run their own garden-related companies or have in the past or work in adjacent industries like project deisgn and research. It's a bit confusing, but the GW forum bares almost no relation to the rest of the GW website, programme or magazine.

Hating on GW is theme that runs through much of the forum - people give themselves brownie points for each pot shot.

(If it's a serious study, I recommend sorting out your punctuation).
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 815
    From what's been released so far, this smacks of an acute case of academicosis with not a lot to recommend it?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,025
    Another point to consider is that many (including me) will dislike the idea of emailing you, thus giving you their personal email address. There are plenty of research platforms online that allow you to click on a link and fill out a questionnaire, permitting you to leave space for the contributor to expand on their non-plant content gripes and likes. You could include a way of following up, inviting individuals to zoom or whatever, if they wish to do so.

Since those that are happy to handover personal email addresses will not necessarily present a fair or representative spread of views, and since forum members themselves are already not representative of GW viewers as Fire has pointed out, then one would question the value of the inevitably skewed data you will be collating.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,414
    I'd be happy to participate if it could be done without handing over my email address or other personal details.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 579
    edited 1 June
    I’m glad all these questions and legit concerns are raised publicly. If it’s research then the details with key objectives and methods should be available publicly before any personal commitment. What if each person is told something different by personal email but they don’t know that. 

And then a 121 teams or zoom meeting too so no one knows who’s been told what. Sounds like very dodgy research I’m afraid.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,368
    edited 1 June
    I, for one, wouldn't consider participating in any form of one to one dialogue without a load more information - exactly who is conducting this research, aims of the study, reassurances around data protection plus how the findings will be used. 

If a few specific questions about the programme were asked on this forum there might be a better response.

I really hope nobody sends an email (thereby disclosing their personal email address) before a lot more information is provided.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    You can get a Master’s degree these days for asking people if they like to watch dogs on a gardening programme?😳

I was born 50 years too soon.😕
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,146
    If this is Kocher, maybe @Daniel Haynes might confirm for us?
    Devon.