Forum home The potting shed

Would you like to take part in a research study open to all you wonderful Gardeners' World Viewers?

Have you watched Gardeners' World for over a year? and Have you found yourself noticing something other than the plants? If so, we'd love to hear your story. 

To share your views, please contact the Lead researcher at [email protected]

Happy gardening!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,044
    edited 31 May
    Is this an official piece of research with the authority of BBC Gardeners World and Immediate Media?

If it is perhaps you should say so, and if it isn’t it would be polite, not to mention good business practice, to seek permission from the Editor  of Gardeners World online @Daniel Haynes and Immediate Media whose site this is. 

Contact details at the foot of the page. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• panfordlpanfordl Posts: 13
    Thank you for picking up on good practice and ethics. This is an official piece of research being conducted at Masters level with Consent to post the study on the forum being obtained on the 6/05/2021 from BBC Gardeners World.   

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,044
    edited 31 May
    Thanks @panfordl :D  That's good to know. 

I'm afraid this forum is targeted by all sorts of spammers and free-loaders ... those of us who've been around here for a good while have grown accustomed to checking before we get involved with 'stuff' ... we appreciate this forum which is free for us to use ... we have learned  and shared much and many of us have developed Real Life as well as Online friendships, and we try to protect the interests of the forum and Gardeners' World.com  .............  B) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,648
    Could you be more explicit about what responses you’re looking for. Have I “found myself noticing something other than plants”? Well, obviously I have. There have been extended features recently on peat free compost and lawnmowers to give just two examples. It is impossible not to notice them. You ask for our “story” ... again, a strange word. It sounds as if you want people to tell you anecdotes.

I have strong views about Gardeners’ World and would be happy to expound on them. Is this the response you want? Or do you really only want observations on those elements of the programme that do not feature plants?
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,520
    I kept 'noticing'  the dogs, and Monty Don wandering about with a wheelbarrow so I stopped watching.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,099
    B3 said:
    I kept 'noticing'  the dogs, and Monty Don wandering about with a wheelbarrow so I stopped watching.
    Dogs following has been replaced by one dog following and one being carried, despite having 4 legs of its own.
    I managed to watch 20 mins of last week's programme . Fast Forwarded through the rest.
    It seems to be less about gardening and more about soppy animal shots and being lectured
    Devon.
    Hi Hostafan! and B3

Your observations on Gardeners World being dog focused is a key aspect of this study. If you would be willing to share your views in more detail in a one to one Teams or Zoom meeting and would like for your observations to be included in the study, please let me know and I can forward you the full study details.

I am also keen to hear from anyone who enjoys seeing dogs as part of the show and perhaps watches GW specifically for Monty's four legged friend?

• ElferElfer Posts: 242
    I have watched a few episodes but didn't find it very interesting, educational or entertaining. The forum on the other hand has it all.
    Dovefromabove, 

I can understand why you would want to protect the interests of both GW and cherished friendships. I come in peace.
    From my understanding a study with GW viewers at its heart hasn't been carried out before, and so your views, if you wish to share them would be valued.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,666
    Perhaps it would help if you tell us what the research objectives and key criteria are? I was a bit confused about you wanting our ‘story’ too, I thought you were looking for memories or anecdotes sparked by the programme!

Personally I don’t mind the dogs but would like more info about the plants. In visits to other gardens especially, often the camera pans artistically over interesting plants but you don’t get to know what they are. Even just a name appearing briefly on screen.