Forum home Plants

French lavender help

Hello, I am new to gardening and looking for some tips to keep this French lavender looking its best. It started off in a pot, however about 2 weeks ago I moved it into my border. One half seems to be dying off. I have cut these bits back. However I'm looking after some tips to keep it looking healthy 😊

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Unfortunately as you discovered these lavenders sold at full bloom are forced to flower early in a warm greenhouse which causes them to fail quite quickly and go into shock when planted out, especially with the awful weather we've had. If you want to keep a lavender going long-term you are better off picking an English variety, the flowers may be a bit more dull, but they are fully hardy, unlike most French varieties. 
    Otherwise as long as you don't give it too much water or too rich soil and in a sunny location should be happy...but worth keeping an eye over the winter as the excessive wetness or frost can kill it. 

And I know all this from experience having twenty Anouk lavenders needing replacing after two years...not worth the hassle. 

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Ah OK, I will see how it goes into next year. If all fails I will get the English variety 😊 Thank you so much. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    I found it was fine bought in bud, I am also very kind to plants newly purchased,they get a bit of codellying for  few days