Forum home Plants

Help with Gardenia

bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
I have been given a gardenia in a9 cm pot but I know nothing about them .What do I do with it now ? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,409
    Gardenias like a lot of light and a moist soil. They are usually grown as indoor plants, so put it on a bright windowsill but not with scorching sun at the hottest part of the day. They like acid soil so don't like being watered with hard tap water, rain water is best.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181
    Does it need potting on into a bigger pot?  If so you’ll need to use ericaceous compost as the lime content of normal composts will kill it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I've never grown a gardenia so can't help with specific care but can help with watering.   It's best to dunk a pot in a bigger container of water and let it soak up what it needs.  Once air bubble stop appearing at the top, let it drain and then put it back in its saucer or cache-pot.   This method ensures the compost is evenly moist and doesn't have too much water or too little.

When you water, check the base of its pot for signs of roots showing.  That indicate that it needs a bigger pot so you need to find a 4 or 5" pot and use some loam based ericaceous compost to fill the new pot below the roots and round the sides so it ends up planted at the same level.   Your garden centre or plant shop should have the compost you need.

Gardenias don't like to be cold so, when it's bigger and stronger, grow it outside in dappled light in summer - if you want - or else kept indoors in a well lit position out of direct sun.  It will not be happy much below 10C so watch for night-time temps.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/7605/Gardenia-jasminoides/Details 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
    That’s great. Thank you for the help. So I’m thinking if I treat it like a camellia I’m on the right track sort of. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Yes, except camellias are hardy and can live outside to -10C and will cope with full sun as long as they have plenty of water in late summer when they're forming their flowers for the following spring.

Gardenias flower in summer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,414
    I've grown Gardenia but only as a house plant - however, some years ago a hardy ( ) shrub Gardenia was fashionable and much advertised.
    Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact name but I do remember wondering if it was simply a sales ploy rather than an honest description.
    Whichever it is, I'd agree with the advice above for care :)
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
    Ok thank you. I was told it can live outside in summer but it’s so tiddly that getting it to grow at all is my first problem I think. Thank you everyone.