Forum home Plants

Vigorous pretty climber?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,595
Hi all, my youngest daughter is trying to sort out a weedy sloping area in her front garden. She wants a climber that will compete with existing ivy ( I persuaded her to leave the ivy for wildlife) 
It needs to be self supporting ideally and to cover an area about 12 feet by 6 foot. Perennial please and if it’s flowering so much the better. Soil isn’t the best though she can improve it a little and it’s a sunny spot. 
Any ideas? 
Thanks 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Clematis will scramble over the ground but may struggle to compete with the ivy.
    Vinca may be a better choice
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281
    Ground cover roses? Lovely in summer, not so good in winter, but the ivy will help then. She could have one with more interesting leaves too.
    I have a Max Graf on a very steep slope, never been pruned in many years, simply because I can't stand or even kneel there to do it! Would look a bit better for a tidy though, if she could manage hers.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2021
    A solanum white or purple would happily cover a fence. It's very vigorous, maybe too much so for the space...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Ground cover roses eh! as s climber, what.Honeyduckle I say
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    I was wondering why vinca and ground cover roses too, when the poster was asking about climbers.

I was thinking solanum or honeysuckle. If they are too vigorous they can be cut back. Solanum responds well to being cut back, I have it on a fence, but you must keep it under control.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    oops  - I misinterpreted the OP
    I'd agree that honeysuckle or solanum would both work well as vertical climbers
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,882
    Our clematis armandii ( everygreen and with a lovely scent) does complete with the ivy growing up a wall and trellis.
    Honeysuckle is another great plant as suggested by others.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,595
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Montana would definitely work if people think it would be ok with the ivy. Didn’t know there were scented ones? Which variety? 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I think different montanas have quite different scents. It might be good to sniff some before buying.

I think perhaps the original message is a little confusing. You mention wanting to cover a slope and also that you want a climber, which suggests a fence or similar. Generally, what would make for good ground cover would be different from what might happily cover a fence.

It would depend too on which season of flowering is best - montana is April/May. Solanum is through the summer.

Virginia creeper would compete with ivy, and if it is positioned in full sun, will give a good, red, autumn display, with black berries.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,961
    A type 4 clematis should work. They grow much quicker than ivy, and you cut it down in early spring and it rapidly grows again.