Forum home Plants

Vigorous pretty climber?

debs64debs64 Posts: 5,122
Hi all, my youngest daughter is trying to sort out a weedy sloping area in her front garden. She wants a climber that will compete with existing ivy ( I persuaded her to leave the ivy for wildlife) 
It needs to be self supporting ideally and to cover an area about 12 feet by 6 foot. Perennial please and if it’s flowering so much the better. Soil isn’t the best though she can improve it a little and it’s a sunny spot. 
Any ideas? 
Thanks 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,288
    Clematis will scramble over the ground but may struggle to compete with the ivy.
    Vinca may be a better choice

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    Ground cover roses? Lovely in summer, not so good in winter, but the ivy will help then. She could have one with more interesting leaves too.
    I have a Max Graf on a very steep slope, never been pruned in many years, simply because I can't stand or even kneel there to do it! Would look a bit better for a tidy though, if she could manage hers.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,963
    edited May 2021
    A solanum white or purple would happily cover a fence. It's very vigorous, maybe too much so for the space...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    Ground cover roses eh! as s climber, what.Honeyduckle I say
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,814
    I was wondering why vinca and ground cover roses too, when the poster was asking about climbers.

I was thinking solanum or honeysuckle. If they are too vigorous they can be cut back. Solanum responds well to being cut back, I have it on a fence, but you must keep it under control.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,288
    oops  - I misinterpreted the OP
    I'd agree that honeysuckle or solanum would both work well as vertical climbers

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,655
    Our clematis armandii ( everygreen and with a lovely scent) does complete with the ivy growing up a wall and trellis.
    Honeysuckle is another great plant as suggested by others.
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,122
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Montana would definitely work if people think it would be ok with the ivy. Didn’t know there were scented ones? Which variety? 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,963
    I think different montanas have quite different scents. It might be good to sniff some before buying.

I think perhaps the original message is a little confusing. You mention wanting to cover a slope and also that you want a climber, which suggests a fence or similar. Generally, what would make for good ground cover would be different from what might happily cover a fence.

It would depend too on which season of flowering is best - montana is April/May. Solanum is through the summer.

Virginia creeper would compete with ivy, and if it is positioned in full sun, will give a good, red, autumn display, with black berries.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    A type 4 clematis should work. They grow much quicker than ivy, and you cut it down in early spring and it rapidly grows again.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".