Forum home Plants

Astrantia bloom time

lpayres3lpayres3 Posts: 5
Hello,

I'm new to growing Astrantias and haven't seen them in other gardens here (Zone 5 near Chicago, USA).  Can anyone tell me how long I might expect them to bloom if deadheaded?  I planted some in the Autumn, which I received in the mail, and some in early Spring which I found at a local nursery.  All are blooming beautifully right now.  I'd also appreciate any growing or care tips you've learned from experience. Thanks!

• AlchemistAlchemist Self IsolationPosts: 266
    Think this depends on the variety. Roma I think is sterile so the bloom time is much longer than some of the others. If you know your variety please do mention as other may be able to give you specific info they may have. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    Roma is sterile, so blooms for longer as Alchemist says above.
    The one I bought last year has just come into flower.

I also have Shaggy and Claret - both bloom for about a month, neither is in flower yet.
    Shaggy self-seed a lot, Claret less so
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • lpayres3lpayres3 Posts: 5
    Thank you, I didn't know that Roma is sterile.  I have Roma, Burgundy Manor, and Ruby Wedding.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    I have Burgundy Manor which apparently can be cut down after flowering and will rebloom.
    Last year was it's first year, so l haven't put this to the test yet  :)
    UK advice here
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/astrantia-major-burgundy-manor/
  • lpayres3lpayres3 Posts: 5
    Thanks, AnniD, that's very helpful!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    I have lots of Astantia, White, pale pink, dark pink and burgundy.
    Someone on the seed swap  (Beaus Mum) sent them to me years ago,  they all turned out different shades, beautiful, the plants get bigger every year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 128
    edited June 2021
    I have some deep red, dark pink, pale pink and cream ones. Unfortunately I don't know the varieties as I dug them up from my sister's garden when she moved house 5 years ago.  They have been in full flower now for two weeks and I have photos of them still with plenty of flowers in mid October last year. They were dead headed daily last summer and even cut back when the foliage got a bit rampant but they grew back and flowered again. Oh and I have noticed plenty of seedlings coming up around the garden too.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    I do that as well. Cut right back and up they come again.  A good all round plant, it was the earliest to flower here this year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ElferElfer Posts: 329
    My first Astrantia, should I start deadheading these?

• They look lovely, I would enjoy them a bit longer.