Forum home Plants

Hypericum??

NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 223
Can anyone help identify this for me please? I thought it may be a Hypericum but not sure, any ideas please, TIA 😊

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,088
    edited May 2021
    Have the leaves got a slightly musty smell? A bit like mice.

The leaves in the second picture look a bit like vinca
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 223
    I’ve just had a sniff @B3, also rubbed the leaves but no, there doesn’t seem to be any smell at the moment.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,088
    Not definitive, but the weedy ones I come across have a musty smell. I don't know if they all do.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Thanks anyway @B3, I thought it must be something coming from my neighbours garden, but it doesn’t look like she has it. I think the leaves are to big for vinca. Not sure if that’s a flower bud in the first pick, so maybe I ‘ll find out soon.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,443
    Certainly looks like Hypericum -I think  leaves too broad and wrong growth for a Vinca
    Thanks for commenting @philippasmith2, hopefully it’ll flower soon & I can be sure. It may be from the neighbours although I can’t see it, she hasn’t been very well the last couple of years & the gardens gone a bit wild. We often chat over the fence so I’ll try & catch her to clarify if she has it.
  • owd potterowd potter teapot townPosts: 836
    Looks spookily like Hypericum to me.
    Is it pushing it's way through your walls and under slabs etc?
    No?, just wait a few months then!
    Pretty and exotic looking yellow flowers but beware !!!
    It's the most thuggish thing in my garden, I have given up trying to rid myself of it, it is just too extensively established now and I have to content myself to rip out yards of it every spring in an attempt to limit it's spread further.

Just another day at the plant...
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 553
    There are lots of different varieties, some like in @owd potter's picture have flowers 2 to 3 inches across. The variety I have has much smaller flowers which are followed by lovely pinky green berries.