Forum home Plants

Patio Rose

harmonyharmony Posts: 343
Hi, I got this what I think is a patio rose for Mothers Day (it had no label), it is actually 3 separate plants, I put them in a bigger pot and they are growing nicely. I have never had one before so not sure what to do now, should I repot them together or separate them, I have been putting them outside since the weather got warmer and bringing them back in at night so can it be left outside now. Thanks

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    You will find that a lot of plants are sold like this......multiple "forced" plants in one pot......and this is to make them look more appealing as house plants for occasions such as Mother's Day. Overcrowding like this is not beneficial to the plants in the long term so you could plant them in separate pots if you want to keep them. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if they will make good specimens.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,528
    Most garden roses are grafted onto a different, sturdy root stock, but yours is exactly how Ceres describes, three little ‘own root’ cuttings plonked in a small pot to look good on the day. Although you have repotted, I would have gone with a much bigger pot in a good loam-based compost as they won’t thrive for long in one that size. It will be fine outside. Unfortunately these gift roses never state what rose it actually is, although usually patio roses, so yes, difficult to know whether it will grow into anything worth keeping. I guess you have to try as it was a gift!