Forum home Plants

Can slug-damaged foxtail lily be saved?

tlchimeratlchimera South WalesPosts: 51
I popped into my back garden this morning and found the slugs had dined on a newly emerged foxtail lily (Eremurus x isabellinus 'Cleopatra') flower. It's not an established plant - I planted the crown last September. It's in full sun, well draining soil, in a border that mostly comprises of native wild flowers (red campion, sorrell, scabious, oxeye daisies, yarrow, comfrey (bocking 14) etc, plus spring bulbs and a few trustworthy perennials (boules mauve wallflower, papavar orientalis, lavender, kniphofia)

I'm gutted to be honest, I can't spend huge amounts on my garden, and buying these crowns (I bought a set of three from Sarah Raven) felt like such a treat. One hasn't produced a flower stalk yet, this one has been eaten, the other one is currently doing well and produced two flower stalks but I'm anxious it's on the menu tonight. 

I used nemaslug about six weeks ago, but it hasn't made a huge difference. I can try using some wool pellets/beer traps, but because there's other foliage next to them I imagine the slugs would just bypass the pellets. 

Anyway, slugs are slugs, can't be helped. I'm presuming this flower is done for now, so I was hoping for some advice about whether I should remove it and if there's anything I can do to encourage it to try and produce another flower. 

Thank you for any advice you can provide, I really appreciate it. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    That's really disappointing. I don't know about your lily but I am a slug expert and I think the soil may have been too cold for your nematodes. All those wool pellets and beer traps are a waste of time when a delicious treat is available. The only truly effective method is to pick the b.....s off, by torchlight, and to dispose of them as you prefer. My kit includes gloves, a bucket with an inch or two of VERY salty water and a rechargeable torch. I know most of us - including me - prefer not to kill anything but if you are growing plants as tasty as yours, or you have an invasion of slugs, as I did, there isn't much choice.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    Posy said:
    ...The only truly effective method is to pick the b.....s off, by torchlight, ...
    What is the best time for night patrol?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Any time after dark, really. Warm, damp evenings are the most productive.