Forum home Plants

Coleus Plug plants

Market BoyMarket Boy Posts: 87
Can any one give me some help. I ordered 40 Coleus mini plugs. Most arrived in good condition in the post. I potted them on into 3 inch pots. All but 4 died off after about 2 weeks. May be I over watered them. So I ordered 40 more. Again most survived the post.
This time I potted them on into smaller trays about 1" x 1". I didnt water them much but misted them twice a week. Most of them died off again in about 2 weeks. The first lot were in the greenhouse. The second lot were in a plastic greenhouse.
I have just received 40 more mini plugs, any suggestions to help these ones survive better than the last 80!!!   

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Next time maybe try some seed, they germinate really quickly. Also they're so easy to propagate with cuttings it seems such a waste of growing space to be coddling plugs. It sounds to me that you lost them due to the cold evening temperatures as the last few weeks it's been too cold to have coleus grow outdoors or in a coldframe. I'd still be keeping them in domestic temperatures as they are such small plants. Let's see if any members have tried plugs and they can offer any experience based advice. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They are not very hardy, so your problem was probably putting them in plastic g/h's too early.
    Mine are indoors.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,200
    I’m growing some from seed ... I’ll be pricking out any day now. They’re quick and easy as long as they don’t get cold. Mine are still on the dining room windowsill. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    We only ever had them as house plants, very susceptible to chilly nights.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Market BoyMarket Boy Posts: 87
    Thanks for your comments.
    I will keep them indoors for a few weeks. I did them from seed a couple of years back and they were fine. I will do that again next year. 
    Once again thanks for sharing your advice, 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 382
    I grow them from seed and plant them outside  in pots and containers, they are pretty well sheltered. I found they got munched by slugs when planted in the ground.